What is Codeine?
Codeine is a prescription opioid medication used to treat pain, coughing, and diarrhea. Doctors usually recommend it for mild to moderate pain management in adults. This medicine is also available in combination with drugs like acetaminophen and NSAIDs for providing more significant benefits.
This drug is only suitable for short-term use, as it is an opioid, and long term use can make a person develop a physical or mental dependence. This medication’s overdose can also make breathing to stop, which might cause death in some cases. The United States DEA classified it as a controlled medicine under the Controlled Substances Act (Schedule II) because of its dangers.
The controlled classification makes it necessary for a person to obtain a doctor’s prescription to buy Codeine online or offline. Still, if you need this medicine urgently and don’t have a doctor’s prescription, you can always visit online pharmacies to order Codeine online without prescription.
How does Codeine work?
Codeine is an opioid agonist that acts on the central nervous system and binds with the brain’s mu-opioid receptors. It metabolizes in the liver and produces morphine in the process that reaches the brain. Morphine is ten times more potent agonists that react with mu-opioid receptors. When Codeine or morphine binds with the mu-opioid receptor, it results in hyper-polarization of the neuron that can cause nociceptive neurotransmitters. This drug’s effect by binding to the mu-opioid receptors induces analgesic effects and increases a person’s pain tolerance.
The way it works on the human brain makes it a potent pain management medication, but at the same time, its effects can be dangerous if used for an extended period. Because it alters brian’s chemical functioning, over-use of this drug can be habit-forming and make you dependent on it. So, if you want to buy Codeine online to manage your pain, try not to use it for longer than your doctor’s period.
How to use Codeine?
Whether you buy Codeine online or offline, the best way to use it is by following the doctor’s prescription or the medication guide. Taking the recommended dosage ensures that you will be at minimum risk of facing this drug’s adverse effects. The doctor will also recommend the optimal quantity for your condition after analyzing your age, the severity of the pain, and other medical issues that might be causing the problem. By taking the recommended dose, you will get this medicine’s maximum benefits.
Try keeping the following points in mind before you start using this medication:
- People with medical conditions, especially respiratory illnesses, can experience worsening of symptoms while using this drug. It can amplify the asthma symptoms and create a life-threatening situation.
- Other medicines can also interfere with its functioning causing increased side effects.
- Newborn babies can exhibit opioid withdrawal symptoms if their mothers consume this drug during pregnancy.
- While using this medicine, breastfeeding can make nursing infant drowsy or cause them to develop breathing problems. In some rare cases, this drug’s consumption during breastfeeding can also lead to the infant’s death.
- Alcohol doesn’t mix well with this drug. You might experience worsen side effects if you consume both of these together.
The standard Codeine dosage is as per the following:
- Start with 15mg.
- Consume it orally at 4 hours interval, as needed.
- Increase the dose to 60mg taken every 4 hours gradually.
- Don’t use more than 360mg in 24 hours.
Codeine side effects
Though Codeine is an FDA approved medicine safe for use, you might still experience its side effects. Generally, severe side effects increase if you order Codeine online without prescription and use it carelessly. However, even if you follow all the instructions, mild side effects can still occur.
Common side effects
These symptoms don’t usually require medical attention as they disappear within a few days or weeks.
- Stomach pain
Severe side effects
The severe symptoms can cause lasting health complications, so it is better to seek treatment for extreme signs of discomfort as soon as possible.
- Difficulty breathing
- Sleep apnea
- Loss of appetite
- Urination problems
- Increased heart rate
- Weak pulse
- Unusual behavior
- Muscle stiffness
- Loss of coordination
Call 911 or a doctor immediately if you experience any of the high-intensity severe side effects.